Scott has the reputation of being one of the most accomplished golf coaches in Sydney as was reflected in his past selection in Australian Golf Digest’s Top 50 Coaches in Australia. After an elite Junior and Amateur career to start his golfing journey, Scott started his PGA Professional Traineeship in 1987 and won the Australian Trainee Championship the following year. Upon graduating from the PGA in 1989, he spent the next six years as a Touring Professional playing on the Australian, Asian, Canadian and Swedish tours before retiring from the circuit to direct his focus toward golf tuition and growing the game. For more than two decades now, Scott has been accumulating extensive coaching experience both nationally as a Program Director at some of the best facilities in New South Wales and internationally whilst traveling the world and working alongside renowned professionals such as Randy Henry, Jim Mclean, Ben Doyle, Paul Hart, Lawrie Montague and his own personal mentor; Gary Barter.
With his expertise, Scott has helped numerous golfers on their path to success including Nathan Green (PGA Tour winner), Brendan Jones (prolific Japanese Tour winner), Adam Stephens (Canadian & Australian PGA Tour winner) and Michelle Ellis (Ladies Australian Amateur Champion). Scott understands that every golfer has their own style and is a believer in educating his students in the design and functionality of the golf club so they can learn how to properly apply it within the swing. He places an emphasis on the importance of a great pivot with educated hands in order for the hands, arms, and body to move in synchronisation; when all three are working together it ensures an effective angle of attack into the golf ball and a sweet strike at impact.
10 Quick Q’s with Scott
- What do you enjoy most about teaching? Developing relationships with clients and enjoying the satisfaction of their achievements.
- Best piece of golfing advice? Don’t play the golf swing, just play golf!
- What made you want to pursue a career in golf? I just loved playing golf growing up and always wanted to play professionally, I succeeded in this but didn’t quite make it to the level I wanted. The lessons I learned along the way though have enabled me to teach others how to overcome that final hurdle on their way to success.
- Favourite/best playing achievement as a pro? Winning the Australian Trainee Championships / 12th in the Malaysian Open.
- Favourite golfing moment as a spectator/viewer? Jack Nicklaus was my hero growing up so to witness him shooting 30 on the back 9 in the 1986 Masters to win the green jacket by 1 shot as a 46 year old after a six year Major championship drought was truly incredible.
- Favourite golf course? New South Wales Golf Club.
- Lowest round as a pro and where at? -7 (65) at numerous courses.
- Favourite golfer to watch and why? Rickie Fowler – I love his game and attitude on the course and towards growing the game of golf, he conducts himself brilliantly and is a fine young man / role model.
- Favourite sport outside of golf and sporting team and/or player? Cycling – Peter Sagan.
- What do you love most about Sydney? I love the beaches, Eastern Suburbs and Centennial Park. It’s a great place for cycling with so many scenic backdrops from the Sutherland Shire to the Northern Beaches.
Hours of Operation
Follow Scott on Social